BETTER BACKS PROGRAM
Advanz Health specialises in treating back pain. Our Better Backs Program is designed to give you fast relief and long term results for your spine. We use a 5-step approach to a healthy spine, with detailed assessment, accurate diagnosis, scientifically proven treatment techniques and an individualised plan. Our specialised program proves to change the lives of people suffering back pain every day.
STEP 1: Comprehensive Assessment & Accurate Diagnosis
(Week 1: Approx 1-2 sessions)
- 1 hour one-to-one assessment where your physio will review your history, read any
reports or imaging, assess your body mechanics, posture and function. Using real-time ultrasound technology, we
will assess your core muscles. We will also implement early strategies to relieve your back pain.
- Step 1 is important because your physio needs to know what they are treating. Your back pain is NOT the same as
the next person and a one size fits all approach does NOT work. Back pain has many causes, and long-term
outcomes require accurate diagnosis.
STEP 2: Hands-On Treatment & Early Exercise
(Week 2-4: Approx 3-5 sessions)
- Your physio will apply hands-on treatment targeted at your specific injury to relieve symptoms and improve your
- Using specific hands-on treatment techniques (dry needling/acupuncture, massage, joint manipulation) helps change
injured tissue and restore movement quickly. Specific exercise is an essential part of treatment and recovery and
improves spinal control.
STEP 3: Functional Movement and Exercise (one-on-one)
(Week 4-5: Approx 2-4 sessions)
- Your physio will work with you to optimise your strength, movement and function relevant to your daily life & sport of
choice. Here we change the poor patterns which have caused your injury. This phase is performed one-to-one with
your physio/movement-specialist and will strengthen and balance your body.
- Treatment on back pain without specific prescription of exercise is like a bandaid for a broken bone.
STEP 4: Higher Performance Movement & Exercise (Small group classes)
(Week 5-6: 2 classes per week recommended)
- This stage is optional but highly recommended. It creates permanent changes to strength, control and even brain
function relating to your body and how it moves.
- Small group strength classes are an incredibly fun and effective treatment to achieve full body results and decreased
recurrences of your pain and injury. Much more cost effective sessions that allows more time with your therapist!
STEP 5: Completion
- This is your reintroduction to full functional activity. In the completion phase, we get you moving & being better than
your pre-injured self, and your physio will help you return to your activities of choice.
- You will be given an ongoing program to ensure long-term spinal health, or you may decide to take advantage of our
partner, E-Lab Training, which is a specialised facility used to maximise body outcomes and avoid returning to poor
This group of exercises for shoulder stability should be used by all people who have injured their shoulder or are trying to improve stability for those who have been diagnosed with hypermobility and are at dislocation risk.
For those recovering from injury including; Impingement, rotator cuff tear, “swimmers shoulder”and/or general weakness you should first master all external rotation exercises (exercises 1-4) and progress then to ball pushups (exercise 7) and then internal rotation strength (exercise 5-6).
For those who suffer hypermobility – move straight onto ball/wall pushups, ball rollouts and internal rotation exercises (exercises 5-9).
Keep a close eye on technique with these exercises and don’t forget the importance of core/abdominal connection with shoulder exercises at all times.
Master the exercise above before moving to the next exercise down the page.
1. External rotator cuff lying
2. External rotator cuff standing grade 1
3. External rotator cuff standing grade 2
4. Theraband rotator cuff grade 3
5. Theraband rotator cuff grade 3
6. Overhead Scapula Stability
7. Stability Ball Pushups
8. Stability Ball Roll Outs
9. Stability Ball Single Arm Roll Outs
These 13 exercises are a great stability progression for those who suffer hip/pelvic or lower spine pathology.
The easiest way to use these videos is to master exercises 1&2 and then choose from the other exercises below. Always include exercises from the lateral stability section. These exercises are in order of progression, so start at 10 and move down as you master the other exercises.
Chose 3 exercises from these each time when warming up in gym or at home as home exercise program.
1. Side lying clams
3. Squats with Theraband
4. Monster Walks
9. Squat Jumps
LATERAL HIP STABILITY EXERCISES: Make sure you have mastered exercises 1 & 2 prior to commencement of these standing exercises. Start at exercise 10 and progress to 15 as you are able to complete 3 sets of 10 repetitions successfully on each side. DON’T COMPROMISE ON QUALITY!!
10. Figure 4 Pelvic Stability
11. Figure 4 with Stability Ball
12. Theraband Toe Taps
13. Single leg squat with stick
14. Step ups
15. Lateral Jumps
There is a range of stretches here to choose from depending on what you have been advised to perform for your body!
Remember to always move into stretches gradually and do not bounce at the end of the range.
The secret to stretching is to actively relax the muscle while you are stretching it or using a ball or roller to release it. Focus on breathing and not counting while stretching which encourages a hold of breath and prevents muscle relaxation.
For HAMSTRINGS – use exercises 6 & 7
For SPINAL MOBILITY – use exercises 3,4 & 5
1. Hip Flexor stretch
2. Gluteal Stretch
3. Back Extension Stretch
4. Bow and arrows (spine mobilisation)
5. Foam Roller release
6. Arabesque (hamstring stretch with pelvic/core control)
7. Good mornings (hamstring stretch – core strength)
1. Lower Core in Lying
2. Four Point Kneeling
3. Four Point Kneeling Variations
4. Side Plank Variations
5. Prone Core Abdominals
6. Multifidus Back Strength
7. Stability Ball Roll Outs
8. Stability Ball Single Arm Roll Outs
9. Stability Ball Pushups
10. Good mornings